The compact GESIM BioSyntheSizer manifests a new instrumentation concept for robots for complex laboratory automation on low-volume scale. It is a new, very compact lab automation platform whose goal is utmost flexibility. In the standard configuration it masters several different chemical syntheses simultaneously, as long as they fit in a liquid handling scheme. This, on the other hand, allows parallelization without having to make a new setup for each synthesis.
20 years of experience in the field of microfluidics and lab automation sets the BioSyntheSizer apart from common pipetting robots. Hard- and software follow a strictly modular approach and makes the platform open for application specific configurations. We will be pleased to learn about your requirements in chemical synthesis!
A Dream comes true in Chemical Synthesis
The BioSyntheSizer relies on a gentle but accurate robotic stage with a cascadable tool head with up to seven independently moving Z-axes.
From an application perspective the platform allows to define synthesis work flows consisting of different material handling steps/micro work flows (Right side, to be completed). Very different tools, vessels and reactors connect and work together for a specific application. The instrument software always reflects the current setup and quickly adapts to changing requirements when new hardware gets onboard.
The instrument has been designed for but not limited to the synthesis of biopolymers, e.g. collagen, hydrogels, radiopharmaceutical tracers. Click here for an overview of already realized applications.
Interchangeable Tools for up to 7 Z-Axes
Individually lowering Z-axes allow to synchronize multiple tools with different dimensions. The head of the instrument connects to the F-box (Media control unit for compressed gas, power, vacuum).
- Conical receptacle to load/ eject disposable pipet tips and Luer needles
- Needle tips for penetration of antiseptic lids
- Piezoelectric Picolitre pipettes
- Twin-tip Piezoelectric pipet: Two piezo pipets can be swivelled to mix up drops in flight
- Solenoid dispense valves for the Nanolitre range
- Pneumatic/ piezo dispense valves for more viscous drops
- Vacuum gripper for crimp vials and 3-lumen pipette for inert gas, solvent, vacuum, e.g. for azeotropic drying of solutes
- Tool for cap opening/closing of FlipTube microcentrifuge tubes
- Z-sensor to measure height profiles of substrates
- Powder pipettes for the Microgram range
- Cartridge dispensers for high viscous media
- Titration pipette for automatic adjustment of pH
- Camera for pattern recognition and QR code identification
- UV lamp for crosslinking
Components for the Work Area of the Instrument
On the work deck you find easily mountable and removable holders for disposable pipette tips, needles, microtitre plates, glass slides, storage and reaction vessels (e.g. crimp vials with septum, microcentrifuge tubes with cap) and other freely definable objects that can be heated or cooled on request. A time-controlled connection to extraction or cleaning columns, an HPLC or a photometric analysis can be done via tube adapters.
- Trays for micro well plates/ slides
- Racks for microcentrifuge tubes, septum vials, disposable pipette tips, Luer-lock needles
- Racks with tube adapters to connect nozzles to tubes/columns etc.
- Racks with filter cartridges for ion separation
- Application specific microfluidic manifolds
- Reactors with antiseptic lid, temperature up to 150°C, pressure up to 8 bar
- Magnetic stirrers
- Wash/Dry stations, optical tools for tips alignment and droplet measurement (stroboscope)
Covers, Chillers and Others
- Enclosure for dust protection, N2 pressure excess
- Chilling and temperature control
- Radioactivity sensors
- Separate F-Box with pumps, valves etc.
Microfluidic Multi Cell Cultivation with automatic Sample Handling
The BioSynthesizer technology now fits to a robot called 2-level-Lab BSys 4.2 with elevated work deck. It is made to operate small transparent bio containments, e.g. SBS well format objects, microfluidic cartridges and others. It features two tool heads for optical inspection in both directions. The upper tool head operates all GeSiM made tools for liquid handling, Nanolitre pipetting and paste dispensing. The modular approach of all GeSiM instruments enables even 3D printing. Microfluidic cartridges and chips can be provided by GeSiM but this instrument also accepts customer designs.
The 2-level-lab robot is always configured to a particular application. It was designed for unattended run of complex sequences in cell labs, e.g. printing and cultivation of 3D organoids with one setup.
This example accommodates an array of Multi-Organ-Chips (MOCs) on the left tray. Each MOC hooks up to a separate control unit for media and temperature adjustment. The MOC design can be adapted to different applications.
Sytemic toxicity testing
- Two parallel-connected cell culture chambers (3), reservoir (2)
- 3-point-peristaltic-pump (1), inlet and outlet valves (4)
- Temperature controlled support
- Oxygen control directly on culture media
- External gas mixer
- Gas permeable membrane for in/output
Please contact us with your specific idea.
The Promise of Water containing Hydrogels
Hydrogels are widely used in regenerative medicine. The soft and water containing polymers are well appropriated as cell culture media but keep cells “in shape”: 3D printing arranges the hydrogel in a spatial manner or allows combined printing with other polymers.
In collaboration with the Leibniz Institute for Polymer Research Dresden a configuration for Hydrogel synthesis was developed. It starts with the conjugation of Polyethylene Glycol (PEG) with crysteine-containing peptides such that the conjugate contains a terminal thiol group. At the same time, heparin is coupled with reactive groups, all in an automated way. The PEG-peptide-thiol polymer is then linked to the heparin via a sulphur bridge, and other components (cells, adhesive peptides) are added. Star-hydrogels are possible.
The GeSiM BioScaffold printer is well appropriated for 3D prints with hydrogels. Please visit the related product site for BS3.1.